Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Visiting The Albany International Airport Local Art Exhibit by Chris Pearce

When looking through the different options our class had as to what art exhibits we were able to go to, it astonished me that our local airport was on the list. This may be absurd for my generation but I have never been on a plane before and I would never have imagined that there an airport has art exhibitions going on. I spoke with my fellow blog members about it and we all agreed that we should make a trip to see it. The best time for all of us to go worked out to being over thanksgiving break since we all lived in the area and wouldn’t be going away for the holiday.
When we walked into the airport it wasn’t that hard to find the exhibition. It easily stood out from the rest of the airport since contemporary art has a tendency of doing so. The colors and the elements used were bright, in your face, and very imaginative. The different pieces of work were made from dishware to spools of thread to even pom-poms. All of the exhibits were fun to look at which made Kara, Hildy and I spent almost the same allotted time one would spend waiting for their flight to arrive there. Much more than any of us expected.
One piece of work that stood out to me the most when we were there was Seven Columns of Commerce and Pleasure by Chris Harvey. I do like Classical Greece artwork where their columns are still found in buildings today but these columns most likely wont be found anywhere but in an art exhibit. The columns were made out of dishware with each column having its own unique color contrast. The middle column was black and white while each column after that became brighter shade. This piece of artwork stuck with me after we left the airport because of how unique it was. Mr. Harvey obviously had a vision that he wanted to share with whoever wanted to view the exhibit and it was one of the most creative pieces of artwork I have ever scene. It was amazing to see how dishware could be made into something so creative such as columns. I also found it interesting how everything in the show was from locally renowned artists.
After going to the Albany International Airport art exhibit, I can honestly say it was more than I had ever expected it to be. I had pictured something a little better than going to a local restaurant where they hang paintings on the wall done by the local schoolchildren. This exhibition blew me away. I would have never thought our local airport could show such a passion for the local artists and gave them a place to display there work to the millions of people passing through. It is a great thing to welcome those coming into the capital region as well as getting the community involved. I can say that I will never stereotype a local art exhibit when I haven’t seen one before.

No comments:

Post a Comment