Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lego Land or Broadway Boogie Woogie?


As I searched for a piece of artwork that was unusual, I came across Piet Mondrian's Broadway Boogie Woogie. This painting reminded me of my childhood days when I was obsessed with legos. I would avidly spend most of my afternoons building whatever my imagination was able to create on that certain day. Unfortunately, when I researched Mondrian's painting and his biography, he did not have the legos on his mind when he created one of his life's most famous works.

Piet Mondrian was born on March 7th, 1872 in Holland. His family was very artistic and gave him the chance to pursue his dream for the most part of becoming an artist for a living. His father was content on having Piet be able to make a living for himself besides just painting so he paid for his son to go to school to become an art teacher. Upon getting his degree for teaching, Piet wanted to pursue his real dream. Since his father could not afford for him to go to an art academy, his uncle Frits was able to obtain the money for him. There he studied full time or took night classes while also joined Artist Societies where he showed his work. During the rest of his time in Europe, Piet became known for his paintings as well as his articles that were published in a popular art magazine.

Mondrian ended up leaving Europe in 1940 due to the war, landing in New York City where he created Broadway Boogie Woogie. His abstract painting was done in his style which he deemed "Neoplasticism." Each of his paintings were done layer by layer until they were balanced by color, form and surface. In this last painting of his, Piet was said to be inspired by how fast New York City moved and its continuous motion. The yellow used in this painting were inspired by the yellow taxi cabs. He was fascinated by the way of life in the city and this painting was done to exhibit just that.

When I was done researching Piet Mondrian, I went back to viewing his last painting. It no longer appeared to me as something I could have created with my big box of legos when I was a child. The painting drew me in more, as I moved my eyes across the painting I could see how Mr. Mondrian would want his viewers to see why he created this piece of art. My eyes never stopped moving as his colors and patterns kept me occupied just as if New York City does to onlookers as they look around for the first time while visiting the big apple. I have learned through this assignment that with a little research abstract art is not as visually pleasing as I once thought it was. Before I looked at abstract art as boring because I did not understand that there is a reason for what the artist is trying to depict to a viewer. With realism the message was more direct to the viewer but abstract art must be looked at more than once and I am glad I have gotten a chance to understand this.

Chris

http://www.webexhibits.org/colorart/mondrian2.html
http://paintings.name/piet-mondrian-biography.php

No comments:

Post a Comment